Friday, February 19, 2016

Week 2

Most of this week was dedicated to figuring out how to put our game online. What we thought would be a simple task was actually quite difficult. After purchasing a domain from GoDaddy, we struggled with actually getting the game to show up when one went to the website: most of the time, we would be greeted with a loading screen that never stopped loading, taunting us with the name and logo of our game engine, MelonJS. After struggling for hours, our mentor suggested updating the permissions on our domain to allow .tmx files, the file type of our level maps. This was a blessing, and we celebrated when we saw the title screen load. After much high-fiving, we pressed enter and couldn't help but notice the fact that the level itself wouldn't load. More than a little discouraged, we attempted to improve our spirits by reminding ourselves that this was better than before. However, we were stuck again.

We were so lost. Literally no idea what to do. So we ended up re-uploading all the files, essentially starting over from scratch. We're not really sure what happened, but it ended up working. We must have messed up something small and unnoticeable the first time. Anyways, we were actually able to upload the test game in its entirety. The next step was to start working our own stuff into the game: the character sprites, our own levels, etc. Here's where my path and Alex's diverged: he started working on many more character animations for our protagonist, Frobot, and I started designing our first level.

As of right now, I have created a rudimentary first stage that will eventually require the player to learn how to make use of the game's basic controls and combat system. However, I am currently struggling to make use of the tileset I found online. I found one that fits the theme of our game more accurately, with industrial landscapes as opposed to the jungle theming we used in our test level, but the set came in a collection of images rather than a tilesheet like the jungle tileset came in. After attempting to manipulate the settings enough to allow for this, I have determined that it would be easier to just compile this collection of images into one sheet. So I am currently working on scouring the depths of the internet to find a program that will do that.

From now on, you'll be able to find the latest version of our game here: http://frobotgame.com/

7 comments :

  1. I got the game to load on my android. However, I couldn't play it on my phone. I'll try it on my PC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kyle, Played the game on my PC - it is very cool! What a great start. I like the graphics and the sounds. I like the Frankenstein-y backstory you created... can you eventually develop it a little more to explain why the little guy is being attacked and has to gather coins?

    How is it going working together? Have you figured out a good division of labor?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the game so far, and I am excited to see the updates and changes you make along the way. I can imagine your frustration with getting your game to finally work!
    I would agree with Mr. Bloom. I would love to be able to know more about the "story". Who is the little guy, what is the ultimate goal of the game, etc.?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kyle this game is so engaging although it took me a while to figure out how to jump! Do you plan on making this game an app or just an online game?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This game looks like it has a lot of potential! Did you create the background music for the level too? If you did, are you going to have different soundtracks play for each level?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Took me a while to figure out the game but it's so much fun! I'm having a blast!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © Totally Radical: Creating an Old-Fashioned Video Game with Modern Spunk

Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Blogger Theme By NewBloggerThemes Up ↑